Quick Links
Skip to main contentSkip to navigation

Broken Bow Schools


Ajax Loading Image


Oklahoma's Promise

Oklahoma's Promise

You must: 

  • Take the 17 units of high school courses below and make at least a 2.5 GPA in those courses
  • Make an overall high school GPA of at least 2.5.
  • Attend school regularly
  • Do your homework
  • Stay away from drugs and alcohol
  • Don't commit criminal or delinquent acts
  • Meet with a school official to go over your school work and records on a regular basis
  • provide information when requested
  • Apply for other financial aid during you senior year of high school
  • Take part in Oklahoma's Promise activities that will prepare you for college

What are 17 units of high school courses I need to take? 

  • 4 units of English (grammar, composition, literature)
  • 2 units of Lab Science (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, or any certified lab science.  General Science with or without a lab may not be used to meet this requirement.)
  • 3 units of mathematics (from Algebra I, II, geometry, Math Analysis, Calculus)
  • 2 units of History (including 1 unit of American History)
  • 1 unit of Citizenship skills (from economics, geography, government, or non-Western culture)
  • 2 units of foreign language (two years of the same language)  OR   2 units of computertechnology (Courses in programming, hardware and business computer applications such as work processing, databases, spreadsheets and graphics qualify.  Keyboarding or typing classes do NOT qualify.)
  • 2 Additional units of subjects listed above
  • 1 unit of Fine Arts or Speech
  • 17 total units                                                      

How do I apply?

See your school counselor for an Oklahoma's Promise application or go to www.okhighered.org/ohlap.

If I qualify, how do I get the benefits? 

  • You must meet normal admission standards for first-time entering students at the college or university to which you apply
  • Before the scholarship payment is made, you must actually be enrolled at a college or university
  • You have three years from the time of high school graduation to start taking college courses.
  • You may receive funds for no more than five years after enrolling on college.
  • Awards can't be used  for courses taken after you complete your bachelor's degree
  • You must maintain good grades in college to keep receiving awards.

Back to Middle School Page